1999 Dodge Durango Shifting into Park

LROZ57
  • 1999 DODGE DURANGO
I have a 1999 Durango SLT 4x4 that will not start in Park; nor does it lock in Park. It will start in reverse. Also, when you try to put it in park to turn off, it won't turn off. After you turn it off in reverse, you can put it in park & take key out; but it doesn't stay in park; it rolls. So I have to use emergency brake to keep it from rolling.
Thursday, November 14th, 2013 AT 8:26 PM

Adjust the shifter linkage or look for a loose bracket the linkage is attached to.
-2
Friday, November 15th, 2013 AT 12:15 AM
LROZ57
Thank you for the information! You sent me info on standard transmissions; I need the information for automatic transmissions. Sorry for the inconvenience. The shifter column is located with the steering wheel. Thank you!
-1
Friday, November 15th, 2013 AT 9:35 AM
That IS for an automatic transmission. Manual transmissions don't have "park", and you can start the engine in any gear. I'm not sure, but I don't think you could get a manual transmission in a Durango in '99. I don't remember ever seeing one.

Older vehicles used a series of metal rods between the shifter on the column and the lever on the side of the transmission. A deteriorated engine mount will let the transmission sit lower. That changes the relationship between the transmission and the shifter linkage and can cause it to be out of adjustment.

Newer vehicles like yours use a cable. Those aren't affected by engine mounts but they are attached to a bracket. If the bolt holding that bracket works loose, the outer casing on the cable will move back and forth a little instead of pushing and pulling on the cable. That is the most common cause of what you're describing.
+2
Saturday, November 16th, 2013 AT 1:24 AM