WHAT WOULD MAKE IT RANDOMLY SHUT DOWN WITHOUT WARNING WHILE DRIVING?

• beth79
  • 1999 Chrysler 300
  • 200 miles

I have a '99 Chrysler 300M. Off and on for about 2 months now it randomly dies while driving. Its very scary! My husband has had diagnostics done, and the only code that shows up is the EGR valve. He's been told repeatedly that th EGR would not cause it to shut down. He drove to work today (about 35 miles away from home) and it died about 12 times on the highway. He made it to work, but tried to get gas, it died 3 times just going accross the street. Can someone please help find a solution? Thanks!

Wednesday, August 1st, 2012 AT 9:56 PM

• saturntech9

What is the exact code numbers you have not code descriptions?There is more then one egr code also a egr can cause stalling.

Wednesday, August 1st, 2012 AT 10:03 PM
  • saturntech9

Also what size engine do you have?

Wednesday, August 1st, 2012 AT 10:03 PM
  • beth79

I'm not sure what the exact code is. He's just always told that its the EGR valve and that it would NOT cause this. Also, I believe its a 3.2 engine. I'm not sure.

Wednesday, August 1st, 2012 AT 10:08 PM
  • saturntech9

If the valve is sticking opening it can cause a large vacuum leak depending on how far its sticking open. Thats why I want the code to see if its a code for the valve sticking open. Have it scanned for codes at the auto parts store let me know the exact code numbers?

Wednesday, August 1st, 2012 AT 10:13 PM
  • beth79

If it is the EGR that's causing this, #1:is it hard to fix? And #2: is it usually expensive?

Wednesday, August 1st, 2012 AT 11:32 PM
  • saturntech9

Thats a expensive egr if you replaced it. How about you get me the exact code numbers and we can go from there. If it turns out to be maybe the egr valve I would try cleaning it first before replacing it. It shouldnt be hard to remove.

Thursday, August 2nd, 2012 AT 3:57 AM
  • beth79

Ok, thanks. I'll get back to you on the code.

Thursday, August 2nd, 2012 AT 4:34 AM
  • saturntech9

Your welcome keep me posted.

Thursday, August 2nd, 2012 AT 4:38 AM