WHAT WOULD MAKE IT RANDOMLY SHUT DOWN WITHOUT WARNING WHILE DRIVING?

1999 Chrysler 300

beth79

August, 1, 2012 AT 9:56 PM

I have a '99 Chrysler 300M. Off and on for about 2 months now it randomly dies while driving. Its very scary! My husband has had diagnostics done, and the only code that shows up is the EGR valve. He's been told repeatedly that th EGR would not cause it to shut down. He drove to work today (about 35 miles away from home) and it died about 12 times on the highway. He made it to work, but tried to get gas, it died 3 times just going accross the street. Can someone please help find a solution? Thanks!

saturntech9

August, 1, 2012 AT 10:03 PM

What is the exact code numbers you have not code descriptions?There is more then one egr code also a egr can cause stalling.

saturntech9

August, 1, 2012 AT 10:03 PM

Also what size engine do you have?

beth79

August, 1, 2012 AT 10:08 PM

I'm not sure what the exact code is. He's just always told that its the EGR valve and that it would NOT cause this. Also, I believe its a 3.2 engine. I'm not sure.

saturntech9

August, 1, 2012 AT 10:13 PM

If the valve is sticking opening it can cause a large vacuum leak depending on how far its sticking open. Thats why I want the code to see if its a code for the valve sticking open. Have it scanned for codes at the auto parts store let me know the exact code numbers?

beth79

August, 1, 2012 AT 11:32 PM

If it is the EGR that's causing this, #1: is it hard to fix? And #2: is it usually expensive?

saturntech9

August, 2, 2012 AT 3:57 AM

Thats a expensive egr if you replaced it. How about you get me the exact code numbers and we can go from there. If it turns out to be maybe the egr valve I would try cleaning it first before replacing it. It shouldnt be hard to remove.

beth79

August, 2, 2012 AT 4:34 AM

Ok, thanks. I'll get back to you on the code.

saturntech9

August, 2, 2012 AT 4:38 AM

Your welcome keep me posted.