Chevy diesel rough idle

E_AMADOR956
  • 1999 CHEVROLET TRUCK
I have a 1999 chevy 3500 diesel engine that has a rough idle and smokes white. When I rev the engine to about 2000 rpm roughness goes away but still smokes. When it is started for the first time in the morning a black cloud of smoke comes out. All filters have been replaced all 8 injectors have been replaced. Any help would be appreciated.
Monday, January 3rd, 2011 AT 5:49 PM

KHLOW2008
Is the MIL indicating and have you tried to retrieve for trouble codes?
Symptom indicates a possible misfiring cylinder.
Was the distributor in anyway adjusted? Have you checked the distributer with crank sync?
Was any repair to engine components made prior to this occurring?
Monday, January 3rd, 2011 AT 9:26 PM
E_AMADOR956
No check engine ligh is not on. This vehicle does not have a distributor its a diesel engine not a gas. All filters have been changed
Monday, January 3rd, 2011 AT 10:17 PM
KHLOW2008
Sorry, it should have been the injection pump timing.
Did you test if any cylinders I snot firing correctly?

Try cracking the injector line cylinder by cylinder to check if any is not functioning correctly.
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 1:58 PM
E_AMADOR956
Already tried that all 8 inj have been replaced and when I remove injectors like you say it make a little difference but engine still rough and smoking but when I accelerate it goes away but smoke still present. Smoke is white
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 2:56 PM
KHLOW2008
Performing the above does not necessarily mean to check for faulty injectors. It is to locate any cylinder that is not firing correctly. It could be a fault with compression.

Did all cylinder shows similar amount of difference in engine running condition or did any one or more showed a more significant difference?

Do you have coolant losses issues and did engine ever overheated badly?

White smoke is usually due to non firing conditions or timing is too advanced. It could also mean a minimal amount of water is getting to the cylinders, either due to a bad head gasket or bad cylinder head.
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 3:14 PM