POSSIBLE PROBLEM

1999 Chevrolet Suburban

Bill For

September, 29, 2012 AT 9:34 PM

1999 chevy, sub, k1500 (1/2 ton, 4x4) Engine code: R, 5.7 L
Drivers side head removed, valve bent, replaced at machine shop. Rocker arms adjusted per book; at TDC + 5-10 degrees in power stroke position. Intake manifold sealed/RTV (back and front) provided with intake gaskets.
Engine won't run; it runs for 2 seconds after I turn ign. Key toward the "off' position. Won't keep runing even if held between "start" and "off". The last attempt caused backfire through the carb.
New crankshaft position sensor, new distributor; very carefull (3 times) to check no. 1 cylinder in fire position and plug wire locations. Before valve repair mechanic/computer set timing. We noted that the distributor had to be rotated to it's extreme position to get within 1 degree. The engine won't start in that position; no spark. (Orig position was in center).
No "service engine soon" codes. Cleared anyway.

September, 29, 2012 AT 9:40 PM

Bring it back top top dead center again and align the rotor with number one. The fact you had to rotate to get to the proper setting says the distributor is not in correctly.

Bill For

September, 29, 2012 AT 11:23 PM

When No. 1 is at TDC there is no way that I can get the rotor to align with the no. 1 terminal on the cap. The distributor will only seat into the block when the rotor is pointing to between 1 and 8.
The crank was never moved upon head removal and it ran, though not well with a bent valve (no compression in No. 5 cylinder)during diognastics. I put the dist. In one tooth over and turned the crank a little, but is still won't drop into place; maybe I didn't move the crank far enough

September, 29, 2012 AT 11:27 PM

Why cant you? What is in the way?

Bill For

September, 29, 2012 AT 11:43 PM

The "tab" in the center of the dist. Shaft will not seat into the (oil pump?) Slot, so the distributor will not "bottom-out" onto the block.

Bill For

September, 30, 2012 AT 12:07 AM

I think I see it now, the oil pump must have moved. I will insert a long screwdriver and turn the pump so it's slot will align with the correct position of the distributor.

September, 30, 2012 AT 12:08 AM

Exactly. Good job. Now make sure it is in the correct position.

Bill For

September, 30, 2012 AT 12:42 AM

It took a few tries to get the pump slot in the exact position so when I put the dist. In the pump turned so the dist. Seated and aligned with NO 1. Your statement that the dist. Rotor had to point to no. 1 at TDC was the key. I was not sure if it was TDC or the other mark on the crank damper.
It starts, thanks !

September, 30, 2012 AT 12:44 AM

Nice job

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet