IM HAVING AN ISSUE WITH MY SUBURBAN I HAVE HAD A...

1999 Chevrolet Suburban

shas41

December, 10, 2012 AT 5:44 PM

I'm having an issue with my suburban, I have had a slow parasitic draw for several weeks. It would take several days for the truck to be completely dead and need a jump to start. Now ii I shut it off it needs a jump immediately to start it. Just replaced the starter yesterday, had the alternator and battery checked and they are fine. I can drive it anywhere and it runs great I just can't turn it off! Also the truck does jump off right away, within a minute of attaching the jumper cables. Please help, I cannot afford to send it to the shop.

December, 10, 2012 AT 5:56 PM

Use a digital multimeter across battery posts, vehicle off, what is the reading? The generic spec for a full charge is around 12.6 volts. You can't do any testing if the battery is down? Did you fix the amp draw?

Your saying the starter motor won't crank without a jump? Was the battery and charging system tested on the vehicle?

shas41

December, 10, 2012 AT 6:12 PM

The battery is fully charged, took it in and had it charged. The starter, battery and alternator were all checked and the only problem was with the starter. I replaced that yesterday and am still having the same problem. The starter just clicks unless I jump the truck. The motor does not turn over without a jump. Once it's running it is totally fine. I can use the heat, radio, wipers, lights ect. Without any losing any amps. I do not know what the amp draw is, only that when I first had the truck tested it was drawing 0.86 amps. I have no idea where the amp draw is.

December, 10, 2012 AT 7:19 PM

You need to use a digital multimeter and do some voltage tests. Place the meter leads across the battery posts, have helper turn key to crank. Watch the voltage reading. What is the voltage reading? Unless you can do some testing, I'm not sure how to help?

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement