1500 LT STARTS SPORADICALLY

1999 Chevrolet Suburban

Bookmon

May, 3, 2012 AT 2:42 AM

We own a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LT, 5.7 liter V8, 135,000 miles. About 2 years ago, it started sporadically leaving us stranded. You’d hop in at the house, crank it up with no problems, drive to the store, and come out with ice cream and NUTHIN’. The engine would just whine away making that “I wanna start” sound but it would not turn over and catch. Eventually, you could run down the battery just trying to crank it. One night, it even left us stranded in downtown Birmingham, Alabama on a 20 degree night in November. I can not recall the number of times I’ve ridden home in a tow truck cab.
We’ve changed the big starting fuse under the hood- twice. We changed the fuel pump-twice. We changed the battery. We changed the rotor and cap assembly. We had it in and out of shops spending thousands on diagnostics and no one finds a thing wrong.
After all this, yes even after the cold night in November- the wife loves this Suburban. It’s big and boxy. Lots of room and rides great.
Have you ever heard of such a thing? Have you any advice of how to end this game of “Drive Away Roulette”? It’s gotten to where we’re afraid to drive to the store just 3 miles away.
Thank you for your help.

fixitmr

May, 3, 2012 AT 3:19 AM

So when it wont start, whats missing? Spark or fuel supply?

Bookmon

May, 3, 2012 AT 3:03 PM

According to the shop folks- nothing. It all checks out fine. While I try to crank it during those times, I think spark. My untrained logic- I can smell gas as if it is flooded.

fixitmr

May, 3, 2012 AT 4:02 PM

Seems like thousands on diagnostics could have been spent replacing ignition parts/ecm?

Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Alternator testing done right