MECHANIC DID OIL CHANGE, DID NOT PUT OIL INTO ENGINE

1999 Chevrolet Prizm

jbayes

November, 13, 2010 AT 6:11 PM

This is a question of liability. '99 Chev Prizm, very well maintained with 61k miles, clean as a pin. Took it for a few service items to one of the best garages in town, and somehow the car did not blow up as I drove it home. Sorry, I just did not think to check oil level AFTER AN OIL CHANGE (an expensive lesson). They paid to tow it back, but this mechanic hurriedly flushed out the crankcase with fresh oil, negating any chance to determine if there was any oil at all in the engine. Absolutely no oli showed on the dipstick.

The owner and manager have now told me "it sounds fine", and offered a year warranty. I tend to believe that the engine was damaged, and the life certainly cut short.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jack Bayes

mmprince4000

November, 13, 2010 AT 6:18 PM

The only real way to check is to remove crank and check bearings.

Also check for metal shavings in oil.

I would contact them again and insist on a 5 year engine warranty.

I would drive for a month and have oil changed elsewhere, if ANY metal in oil, have the original shop change engine.

Coolant Drain and Refill
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Cruze