MY CAVALIER HAD DEVELOPED A RATTLE UNDER THE ...

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier

sandieh

December, 17, 2012 AT 4:20 PM

My cavalier had developed a rattle under the hood, that was diagnosed as a water pump going out. I put it in the garage with the intention of having the water pump and timing chain replaced. But both were still good and mechanic suggested the tensioner and replaced that but it didn't stop the noise which is like a bearing going out type sound. I had just had the oil sensor plug replaced a week before. My car is only worth about 600.00. How much of the trail and error repair am I responsible for if it is not fixed? And what else could be the cause of the sound which was originally diagnosed as water pump going out.

December, 17, 2012 AT 4:49 PM

If you think the problem is an accessory/belt driven. Take the belt off, run the engine for a few seconds. Does the noise go away? I believe the engine will start and run without the accessory belt. If you still have the noise, I don't think it is anything belt driven.

Oil Change and Filter Replacement Subaru