Loud noise while driving at low speeds

NASH_1S
  • 1999 CHEVROLET BLAZER

This is an automatic, 4.3L, v6 with part-time 4W drive, s10 blazer. When I drive the car it makes very loud noises (like metal scraping) at low speeds and the noise becomes less audible at high speeds. It disappears when I engage into 4 wheel drive. The noise appears to be coming from the front-right side of the vehicle. I took it to a mechanic and he said it is a washer in the front axle tube that is making this noise. He said that he would have to replace sleeve, gear, washer, and seal. I was wondering if you have come across something like this before and if the mechanic's diagnosis makes much sense.

Wednesday, May 30th, 2012 AT 12:35 AM

It makes alot of sense, it is where it engages the 4 wheel drive. I've got it pointed out in arrows. When you have in 2wd it doesn't spin but axle does so it makes noise and when you put it in 4wd it stops.

Wednesday, May 30th, 2012 AT 1:25 AM
ADKAL

Mine has the same noise but it makes no noise in reverse. The answer makes a lot of sense. The drawing looks to be for the left side unless i'm looking at it wrong

Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 AT 2:30 AM
ADKAL

I haven't put it in 4x4 yet it's my lady friends truck. Thanx

Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 AT 2:32 AM

Other Transfer Case 4x4 Engage Questions