GRINDING NOISE?

1999 Chevrolet Blazer

jihughes79

June, 28, 2013 AT 12:09 PM

The front passenger side wheel area is making a loud noise when I drive. The best way I can describe it is like a card in the spokes of a bicycle but a much louder and deeper sound. I took the wheel off and inspected cv boots and wheel bearing boots, all of which show no cracks or tears. Any ideas as to what it might be?

seangrant00

June, 28, 2013 AT 12:15 PM

Does it make more noise when you turn?

Sean

seangrant00

June, 28, 2013 AT 12:22 PM

That's what it sounds like, I attached an image that Chevy shows to diagnose this problem. Another easy way is to jack the front tire up and pull / push the wheel and see if there is play in it.

Sean

jihughes79

June, 28, 2013 AT 1:55 PM

I don't really notice a difference when turning. So it sounds like the wheel bearing/hub assembly?

jihughes79

June, 28, 2013 AT 1:57 PM

Not the CV joints/axel?

seangrant00

June, 28, 2013 AT 2:16 PM

Try shaking that, the cv axle, same thing if there is play then that also could be it.

jihughes79

June, 28, 2013 AT 2:19 PM

Ok, thanks. I'll try that because there was no play in the wheel.

seangrant00

June, 28, 2013 AT 2:20 PM

It also could be the axle bearing, its a constant velocity joint, it basically can wear out and cause they type of noise you are describing. Can you pull the hub off? If you need instructions on how to do it I can give them to you

Sean

jihughes79

June, 28, 2013 AT 2:36 PM

I checked the CV axel and it didn't budge. I have noticed that it is much louder at lower speeds and you can barely hear it at 60mph. If you still think its the axel bearing and can give me those instructions I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks for all your help.

seangrant00

June, 28, 2013 AT 2:50 PM

Can you get the vehicle to a lift? It would be a lot easier to put the car into 4wd and run it to be able to find the noise easier. I have seen some people use 6 jack stands to do it but I wouldn't recommend it. It would allow you to see more preciously where any noise could be coming form.

Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW 5 Series
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Engine Oil Change and Filter Jeep Wrangler
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota