REAR VIEW MIRROR LOOSE

• Broberg
  • 1999 Cadillac Seville
  • automatic

How do I tighten the inside rear view mirror on my 1999 Cadillac Seville SLS?

Saturday, April 30th, 2011 AT 3:41 PM

• cadieman

Use a alan wrench look where it hooks to the glass. Youll see it in the mirror housing. Gl

Saturday, April 30th, 2011 AT 5:51 PM
  • Broberg

Hi cadieman, The mirror mount consists of a plastic piece which is mounted to the glass. Then the mirror housing mounts over that plastic piece. The mirror housing is loose and wiggles on the plastic mount fixed to the glass. There are no allen screws visible on the mirror housing.

Sunday, May 1st, 2011 AT 7:22 PM
  • cadieman

The mirror will have to be replaced. The mirror has a clip that is retaining it. It slides on and when its on all the way the clip locks it. This is a tricky part to replacement. Because I was allways afraid of cracking the windshild. Try to pull the mirror up to slide it off. If no you will need to use a rubber hammer to knock it loose by hitting the mirror arm. Try not to hit the piece that hooks directly to the windshield. The new one will slide on and lock. Gl

Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011 AT 5:53 PM
  • Broberg

Thank you, caddieman. I had the car in to a Cadillac dealer today for an oil change and the mechanic told me about the mirror slipping over the plastic mount on the windshield, as you describe. He said the mirror is expensive to replace so I have decided to place a wooden wedge between the windshield and the lower part of the mirror housing to keep it tight. I hope that works.

Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011 AT 9:35 PM
  • cadieman

Also look for this part at a salvage yard. This mirror is stock for all the cadis. They finally came up with a good mirror.I would buy this part 2nd hand with out a worry. They should give it to you for a good price. Thats better than a wood wedge

Wednesday, May 4th, 2011 AT 1:32 AM
  • Broberg

Good idea. Hadn't thought about that.

Friday, May 6th, 2011 AT 2:45 AM