I don't recommend using a test light to test for parasitic draw. That used to be fine on older vehicle because they either had a draw or they didn't but all today's vehicles have modules and timers that run for a certain period of time and there is always some degree of draw that is normal and supposed to be there. The test light cannot distinguish between acceptable amounts of draw and unacceptable amounts. Here is the procedure I recommend.
You will need a digital ammeter and a jumper wire with clips on the ends to do this.
First rig any door switches so you can have a door open without triggering the interior lights and unplug the hood light. Remove one battery cable and attach the meter in series between the battery cable and battery post. Take the jumper wire and also attach it the same way. Leave the jumper wire on for at least 10 minutes to expire all the automatic timers. Now remove the jumper wire and read the meter. Anything over 50ma is too much draw. The way you locate this is to start removing fuses one at a time until the meter drops to normal level. This will be the circuit with something staying on. Determine what components are part of that circuit and check them individually until the problem is isolated.
Thursday, July 21st, 2011 AT 8:36 PM