ALTERNATOR CONNECTION

1998 Cadillac El Dorado

student101

It seems to be that the connector to the alternator was yanked away for some reason. Left were two wires,
I bought a new connector, wich came with three wires. How do I connect the three wires to the two or three wire problem?

My Alternator Quit Charging

Charging System Trouble

caradiodoc

Even service manual diagrams can be confusing. The safest way is to find a similar car in a salvage yard and note the wire colors and locations. It's common too to snip plugs from donor cars and splice them into yours. Always solder the splices and seal them with heat-shrink tubing. In wet areas like under the hood and rain, use heat-shrink tubing with hot melt glue inside. All auto parts stores have it.

factoryjack

January, 13, 2012 AT 3:06 AM

I've included a schematic, I would assume that the new connector that you bought has all white wires. If you look at the connector end view, and notice the lock tab on the top, you can visualize which terminal is which in the connector body. It may be hard to read, but may also be molded into the connector body somewhere.

caradiodoc

January, 13, 2012 AT 7:31 AM

Thanks factoryjack.

Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500