Headlights wont come on

VLMIKSCH
  • 1999 BUICK REGAL
99 Buick regal headlights wont come on all other lights come on fuses checked light bulbs are new and replaced the dimer part and still wont come on what else could it be?
Sunday, January 2nd, 2011 AT 5:07 AM

KEN
Hey VLMIKSCH,

It sounds like the headlight switch or some fuses are out, here is a guide and a wiring diagram for the headlights, please do some testing and get back to me.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Best, Ken
Thursday, February 2nd, 2017 AT 3:15 AM
BDAVIS
  • 1999 BUICK REGAL
1999 Buick Regal 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

Headlight don't work. Parking light work until you turn on the headlight then they will dim. Hold on hight beams and you can smell it starting to burn. Fuse are all good.
Thursday, February 2nd, 2017 AT 3:16 AM (Merged)
Hi:
It sound like there is a short in the steering column or at the switch. I recommend having a auto electric mechanic look at the problem. If you smell something getting that hot, it could catch fire.

CINCIN282
  • 1999 BUICK REGAL
1999 Buick Regal

I have a 1999 Buick Regal. The headlights won't work.
I have change the bulbs and fuses. I have also had the switch out and don't think that is the problem. My manual said that the headlight wiring is protected by a circuit breaker, but I can't find it. Can you tell me where it is at, how to test it and if I can change it if it is not working?
+2
Welcome to the forum. Voltage to your headlamps is hot all the time. Your headlamps are controlled on the ground circuit. If you haven't already, use a testlite at the left and right headlamp fuse, that circuit should be hot all the time. You can also check for voltage at the headlamp connector, low beam circuit, orange with black tracer, should be hot all the time. The ground is through the dimmer switch.

My info didn't exactly show a circuit breaker. I know on older systems, the breaker is inside the headlamp switch assembly, the breaker itself isn't replaceable as far as I know.