WHY CAN'T I BLEED DIESEL THROUGH THE NEW PUMP I HAVE FITTED?

1999 Audi 80

Chrisfixes

May, 9, 2012 AT 8:33 PM

I have renewed the Diesel Injector pump on my TDI Audi 80, but the engine will not start. There is diesel up to the pump and no air bubbles in the lines to or from the pump, but the diesel is not coming through the pump to the injectors. Do I have to "marry" the injection pump to the engine management or is there another solution?

mhpautos

May, 9, 2012 AT 10:19 PM

You may need to apply air pressure to the pump to help draw fuel through for the initial prime, ensure all lines are tight as if not you may be drawing in air as well and check all electrical connections on the pump one will be the fuel shut off solenoid.

mhpautos

May, 9, 2012 AT 10:19 PM

That should read air pressure in the tank. Sorry.

Chrisfixes

May, 10, 2012 AT 6:35 PM

All electrical connections have been checked and are working. There is diesel under pressure at the pump, but there is no diesel coming through to the injectors when engine is cranked over. When the return line is opened and the ignition is switched on, the fuel pumps through for about 3 seconds, back to the tank. Therefore I don't think it is a bleeding problem. I need more info on the electronics manageing the pump.

May, 12, 2012 AT 1:22 AM

I would crack the lines loose one at a time till you get a good flow while cranking. You will have to bleed at least 2 lines for it to fire and bleed itself the rest of the way.

Why did you replace the pump? Did you time it correctly.

Chrisfixes

May, 13, 2012 AT 9:24 AM

The pump timing is spot on. I have cranked with the pipes to the injectors loose and no diesel comes through at all. The engine runs when Brake cleaner is sprayed into the air intake, but the system will not bleed. I really suspect an electrical fault with the throttle control, but I don't have a wiring diagram or a computer fault reader. The ariginal pump was replaced as it was worn out and couldn't be repaired

May, 13, 2012 AT 2:48 PM

Did you use a new or used injector pump?

Chrisfixes

May, 14, 2012 AT 6:42 PM

There is power to the shut off valve and the pump is a reconditioned unit which I returned to the supplier. They tested the pump whilst I was there and showed me that there was nothing wrong with it. I am at a loss as to why the fuel doesn't come through to the injectors. It is the same pump as the one shown above. Where could I get a wiring diagram for the throttle control?

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right