BATTERY LIGHT CAME ON FOR A FEW DAYS THEN CAR WENT DEAD. I TRIED TO JUMP IT BUT NO LUCK HELP PLEASE?

1999 Acura Integra

Belcher15

June, 20, 2012 AT 1:03 AM

Hi im Chris my car recently broke down my battery light was on for a couple of days. Then came out in the morning drove down the street and the car wont start. I tried to jump it but it wont start it sounds like it really wants to but it just wont. I replaced the spark plugs, fuel filter and cleaned some other stuff out. After that still nothing it sounded alittle stronger but still nothing. Its a 1999 Acura Integra LS

Why Is My Battery Light On?

1 IMAGE

Gen Light

racefan966

June, 20, 2012 AT 1:14 AM

Have you checked the alternator? I would take the battery to a parts store first and have it tested and if it is good then remove the alternator and have it tested.

Belcher15

June, 20, 2012 AT 3:45 AM

Alright I was actually gonna go have the battery tested tomorrow thank you and if what you said doesnt work ill let you know
thank you again

June, 20, 2012 AT 12:58 PM

If the charging light was on, it indicates a fault with the charging system. With the battery in the drained state, testing would not be accurate. Get it recharged first.

Belcher15

June, 20, 2012 AT 2:37 PM

So get it charged then put the battery in the car and if it doesnt work then its the alternator?

June, 20, 2012 AT 2:59 PM

Nope, the recharged battery should work if it is good. Thenyou need to check the alternator. The parts store should be able to help you test the battery and alternator.

Belcher15

June, 20, 2012 AT 5:34 PM

Alright I see my dad has a machine that charges batteries I have it on there now charging im gonna leave it on there for a few hours. Should I try and start it and if it doesnt work then have the alternator checked? Sorry I have so many questions I really just dont have the money to get it towed anywhere thanks

June, 21, 2012 AT 12:23 PM

If it does not work, you need to have the battery tested. Have the alternator tested only if the battery works after recharging.

Belcher15

June, 26, 2012 AT 2:44 AM

Thank you all just got it fixed. The alternator belt was loose which caused it to suck into the engine and shredded the belt. Then that caused the timing to jump on my car. From what I remember thats what the guy said that fixed it.

June, 26, 2012 AT 12:52 PM

A loose belt would not get sucked in. Only a shredded belt would and yes it is possible for what you had mentioned to happen.

Belcher15

June, 28, 2012 AT 12:52 AM

Yeah thats what he said I just wasnt sure how to word it thanks

Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe