1999 Acura Integra there was some black gook floating in with the coolant

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1999 ACURA INTEGRA

1999 Acura Integra mileage: 120,000. About two years ago my timing belt went on my car and I needed a head job done. Ever since they did it, I have been going through a lot of oil. I noticed one day when I was checking the coolant level that there was some black gook floating in with the coolant. I have complained several times to the mechanic and he said the fact that I am burning oil was due to the head job. He said it was quite normal. Regarding the black gook in the radiator, he said that was mold. The other problem that happened after the work was done is that my car was constantly overheating. Now my car is going through coolant and oil like crazy. I smell it burning. I have always maintained the car, but I made a mistake by not replacing the timing belt when it was needed. It has always looked as if it has been leaking through the head gasket ever since the head job was done. Can you please give me your advice on this problem? Thank you for your time.

Friday, October 8th, 2010 AT 1:05 AM

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES

From what you have described, you have a blown head gasket and/or a cracked cylinder head. This would account for the loss of coolant and the black gook in the radiator.

Friday, October 8th, 2010 AT 1:07 AM