TRANSMISSION FLUID

1998 Volkswagen Jetta

sarahc1135

July, 1, 2011 AT 2:11 PM

Does any one know where and how I check my transmission fluid? Is there a dip stick or do you have to flush it each time to check it? I have my car for 7 years now and I've never known where to check the fluid at or how. Shouldn't it need to be checked every now and again? Thanks

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

rivermikerat

July, 1, 2011 AT 3:44 PM

There is a plug in the oil pan that is used to check ATF level. If ATF drips out when you remove this plug, the level is fine. If not, it needs a little fluid.

sarahc1135

July, 1, 2011 AT 8:41 PM

Okay I will try that. Thank you so much

rivermikerat

July, 1, 2011 AT 9:29 PM

My pleasure. Please let us know what you find out.

sarahc1135

August, 5, 2011 AT 3:20 AM

Do you by chance know how to get that plug off to check the transmission fluid. I've been twisting it twisting and pulling. Is it like a prescription pill bottle where you have to squeeze both sides. It's been taking me 2 days now to get this darn thing off. Thanks

rivermikerat

August, 5, 2011 AT 3:49 AM

Can you take and attach a picture of the plug you're working on. It should just be a small square head that you turn counterclockwise and it comes out. There are a few models of transmissions that had dipsticks, red in color.

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz