TRANSMISSION FLUID

• sarahc1135
  • 1998 Volkswagen Jetta
  • automatic

Does any one know where and how I check my transmission fluid? Is there a dip stick or do you have to flush it each time to check it? I have my car for 7 years now and I've never known where to check the fluid at or how. Shouldn't it need to be checked every now and again? Thanks

Friday, July 1st, 2011 AT 2:11 PM

• rivermikerat

There is a plug in the oil pan that is used to check ATF level. If ATF drips out when you remove this plug, the level is fine. If not, it needs a little fluid.

Friday, July 1st, 2011 AT 3:44 PM
  • sarahc1135

Okay I will try that. Thank you so much

Friday, July 1st, 2011 AT 8:41 PM
  • rivermikerat

My pleasure. Please let us know what you find out.

Friday, July 1st, 2011 AT 9:29 PM
  • sarahc1135

Do you by chance know how to get that plug off to check the transmission fluid. I've been twisting it twisting and pulling. Is it like a prescription pill bottle where you have to squeeze both sides. It's been taking me 2 days now to get this darn thing off. Thanks

Friday, August 5th, 2011 AT 3:20 AM
  • rivermikerat

Can you take and attach a picture of the plug you're working on. It should just be a small square head that you turn counterclockwise and it comes out. There are a few models of transmissions that had dipsticks, red in color.

Friday, August 5th, 2011 AT 3:49 AM