Our Jetta is a standard transmission, 2

HARDYRUEB
  • 1998 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA

Our Jetta is a standard transmission, 2.0l. While driving with a warm/hit motor, the engines seems to miss and the speedometer, tach drops to zero, and a few warning lights come on. If at a stop sign, the car will stall if we don't leave some pressure on the gas pedal. If it stalls, it for a few seconds won't fire and just turn over. Then it'll start again

Any idea's.

Jetta Owner

Tuesday, February 5th, 2013 AT 1:29 PM

If the check engine light is coming on, have the computer scanned for trouble codes. Most parts stores will do it for free.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Tuesday, February 5th, 2013 AT 2:56 PM
HARDYRUEB

P0171 bank 1 system to lean
p0116 engine coolant temperature sensor range/performance
P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire detected

Please excuse the non-technical description of what I found.

The day I posted this question, I was looking around the motor for loose wires. I didn't find any. But I did find a melted rubber boot or hose. The origin was a rigid plastic tube/hose which was held by a "U"clip. The other end was attached to a hose barb on a vacuum or something. Would that melted hose cause the dash power to randomly shut off. Not just turning off but resetting the clock under the tach to 12:00.

I can see it could cause stalling and etc. Also, if we drive at a steady speed, there seems to be less problems. If we depress the clutch or increase/decrease speed the problem worsens.

Any new suggestions based on the new findings?

Wednesday, February 6th, 2013 AT 4:06 PM
HARDYRUEB

I did find find out that this whole part and hose appear to be part of the pcv valve. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Thursday, February 7th, 2013 AT 1:15 PM