MY GOLF TDI MK4 HAD ITS TIMING BELT CHANGED 3 ...

1998 Volkswagen Golf

Anonymous

November, 24, 2012 AT 12:46 PM

My golf tdi mk4 had its timing belt changed 3 thousand miles ago and as I was driving I lost all power. I had taken it back to the mechanic who previously had changed the timing belt. He had told me the engine mounting had come off and gone into the timing belt tensioner. I believe he is trying to con me as I have been told that unless the engine mount is corroded it should not have come off? I have researched and found to change the timing belt you have to take this mounting off. I am just wondering where I stand as changing engines will cost too much as I am a student. Is there any way to prove that this mechanic is at fault? Thanks luke

hmac300

November, 24, 2012 AT 3:03 PM

If the mount went into the timing belt there shold bea hole or deperssion where it did on the timing cover. Besides if that mount came off the engine would drop. It is ALWAYS suggested when you do a timing belt to replace the tensioner as well. It shold say that on the bill if it was or not. Or it may say a kit. And no it sholdn't have comeoff unless the bolts broke holding it.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500