I WAS REPLACING THE ALT 100 FUSIBLE LINK

1998 Toyota Corolla

villenbob

December, 8, 2012 AT 1:57 AM

I was replacing the alt 100 fusible link. I was removing the old one when my wrench touched the side of the car and sparked. I installed the new fuse, but now nothing electrical works?

December, 8, 2012 AT 2:05 AM

Check main fuse. Hope all comes back to life. Computers hate power surges

villenbob

December, 8, 2012 AT 2:44 AM

I replaced the main, still nothing, tomorrow I'm gonna back through and double check to make sure everything is connected properly, then got through the fuses and check them. Why wouldnt the lights come back on? The hood light? All of them are out?

December, 8, 2012 AT 2:48 AM

No power

villenbob

December, 9, 2012 AT 2:17 AM

In my fuse box there is an engine main (relay) and a 40a main, they both seem to be conducting fine with my fuse tester. Is there somewhere else I need to look, or another main fuse? I checked all the other fuses and they all seem to be fine.

December, 9, 2012 AT 11:51 AM

When working on fuses, especially main fusible links, the battery negative terminal should ALWAYS be disconnected.

Recheck the battery connections. If the terminals are not tight, sparking can result in loss of contacts.

villenbob

December, 10, 2012 AT 1:22 AM

Got it solved! My brother came over with his volt/ ohmmeter, we knew power wasn't getting to the fuse box, but why? Plus he figured there has to be another main fuse or fusible link. We found a fusible link (wire ) coming off the pos+ battery terminal which thel leads to the fuse box. Power was not getting past/ through this fusible link, so we ended up replacing this for a trip to the auto parts store and less than $4, and all is well again! Learned some very good lessons in this adventure!

December, 10, 2012 AT 7:21 PM

Nice work.

When working on electrical diagnostic and testings, a DVOM or test light is the minimum requirement.

Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator testing done right
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet