I was replacing the ALT 100 fusible link

VILLENBOB
  • 1998 TOYOTA COROLLA

I was replacing the alt 100 fusible link. I was removing the old one when my wrench touched the side of the car and sparked. I installed the new fuse, but now nothing electrical works?

Saturday, December 8th, 2012 AT 1:57 AM

ASEMASTER6371

Check main fuse. Hope all comes back to life. Computers hate power surges

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Saturday, December 8th, 2012 AT 2:05 AM
VILLENBOB

I replaced the main, still nothing, tomorrow I'm gonna back through and double check to make sure everything is connected properly, then got through the fuses and check them. Why wouldnt the lights come back on? The hood light? All of them are out?

Saturday, December 8th, 2012 AT 2:44 AM
ASEMASTER6371

No power

Saturday, December 8th, 2012 AT 2:48 AM
VILLENBOB

In my fuse box there is an engine main (relay) and a 40a main, they both seem to be conducting fine with my fuse tester. Is there somewhere else I need to look, or another main fuse? I checked all the other fuses and they all seem to be fine.

Sunday, December 9th, 2012 AT 2:17 AM
KHLOW2008

When working on fuses, especially main fusible links, the battery negative terminal should ALWAYS be disconnected.

Recheck the battery connections. If the terminals are not tight, sparking can result in loss of contacts.

Sunday, December 9th, 2012 AT 11:51 AM
VILLENBOB

Got it solved! My brother came over with his volt/ ohmmeter, we knew power wasn't getting to the fuse box, but why? Plus he figured there has to be another main fuse or fusible link. We found a fusible link (wire ) coming off the pos+ battery terminal which thel leads to the fuse box. Power was not getting past/ through this fusible link, so we ended up replacing this for a trip to the auto parts store and less than $4, and all is well again! Learned some very good lessons in this adventure!

Monday, December 10th, 2012 AT 1:22 AM
KHLOW2008

Nice work.

When working on electrical diagnostic and testings, a DVOM or test light is the minimum requirement.

Monday, December 10th, 2012 AT 7:21 PM