STRONG FUEL SMELL FROM UNDERSIDE OF VEHICLE BELOW CHARCOAL CANISTER.

1998 Toyota Camry

ferrari

November, 23, 2011 AT 12:49 AM

What is most common problem? No check engine light. I'm smelling a strong gasoline odor coming from underneath the car, below the charcoal canister. Nothing is noticeably wet with gas or stained. There is no check engine light on. What are the possible causes?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 23, 2011 AT 12:58 AM

Check for cracked, disconnected, or broken vacuum hoses to the canister. Also, check for cracks in the canister itself.

ferrari

November, 23, 2011 AT 1:30 AM

All the hoses are Ok. Because of the location, the cannister is hard to check for cracks. If there was anything else wrong wouldn't it come up as a check engine light?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 23, 2011 AT 3:53 AM

One would hope so, but that isn't always the case. If that is where the smell is coming from, you should check it. NOTE: If you overfill the fuel tank, raw fuel can get to the canister too. It should set an EVAP code, but.

November, 23, 2011 AT 3:57 AM

C/Canister could be saturated with fuel

ferrari

November, 23, 2011 AT 2:59 PM

Thanks for replies.I don't ever top off the tank with fuel.I've read though that the cannister must be positioned lower than the gas tank for any fuel to ever enter it. My cannister is positioned higher than the tank in the engine compartment. Where do I start? Change out all the hoses first before getting into the big money?

mhpautos

November, 26, 2011 AT 7:24 AM

Do the scan as not all codes will set a check light, remove the canister and check that it is not full of fuel, check that the purge valve is working correctly.

Oil Change and Oil Filter Replacement VW
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear
 Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford Focus