Battery light/fuse burn

CRT4022
  • 1998 TOYOTA CAMRY

I have a 1998 toyota camry and I just replaced the battery not too long ago. A copule months ago, the battery light kept coming on and I had a mechanic look at it and he said he fized it. Time went by and the light came back on yesterday. I checked the battery post and everything is connected. The light keeps going on and off and I don't have the slighest idea why. I checked a problem fuse under the hood on the driver's side and it was burned. The mechanic had informed me earlier that this fuse was the problem the last time, so I replaced the fuse today with a brand new one, and the light is still coming on and now the car doors won't lock automatically and the car won't start.

Can you help me?

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 7:41 PM

SATURNTECH9

So what is the fuse that blew labeled as?Also why wont it start?Crank no start or no crank no start?

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 7:57 PM
CRT4022

It's a 100 amp fuse. It will crank but it just makes this click click noise.

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 8:08 PM
CADIEMAN

We need how many apme fuse and the number and location of the fuse. So we can help you.

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 8:08 PM
CRT4022

The fuse is located under the hood on the driver's side beside the battery. The information on the fuse is 100A. It is a blue colored fuse.

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 8:16 PM
CADIEMAN

You need to charge the battery. Have them check the battery and charging system tested.

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 8:19 PM
CRT4022

This problem has occurred multiple times before and I have replaced the fuse every time. If I charge the battery, how can I be sure this problem will not occur again?

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 8:21 PM
CRT4022

I had the battery checked out and the gentleman said it was fine. He said it might be something shorting out because of the way the fuse was burned.

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 8:26 PM
SATURNTECH9

Is this what is blowing the alt high amp I posted a diagram.

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 10:32 PM
CRT4022

Yes that's it. The car will start now but the light is still on and it won't go into gear. The lights do not work, and the a/c will not work.

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 11:10 PM
SATURNTECH9

There is also a fuseable link that feeds power to that off the battery as you can see from the diagram I posted.I would say the battery feed wire to the alternator is shorting to ground somewhere or the alternator itself is blowing that fuse.

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 11:24 PM
CRT4022

The fuse will not go down all the way to its designed spot. I can push it down only a tad then it will not snap into place. It's sparking and starting to burn the prongs. I'm thinking it's touching a little but not enough to say the fuse is securely in place.

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 11:28 PM
SATURNTECH9

Try this remove the big battery cable on the alternator. Then see if that battery post on the alternator is shorted to ground. You probably melted the fuse holder thats why the fuse wont fit back in.

Saturday, December 17th, 2011 AT 12:58 AM
CADIEMAN

REMOVE BK/GR at the generator. Try to install the fuse if it stops sparking. Replace the generator. If no pins 1 and 2 off the connecter are red and black f9 you will need to trace down whats on f9 circut causing the short. Its posiable the short distorted the hole or the pins at the fuse panel that locks the fuse into the panel. You can repair it. This bl/rd controls every thing with constant power. And its a large short to effect the wiring like that. Lets eliminate the genernator first. If its the same youll need 2 remove all the fuses that have power with the key off 1 at a time. Then try to install the 100amp. Fuse. When it stops sparking thats the fuse the short in and we can trouble shot that fuse. Ty for using 2carpros

Saturday, December 17th, 2011 AT 1:22 AM
SATURNTECH9

Thanks for the back up.

Saturday, December 17th, 2011 AT 1:25 AM
CRT4022

I'm now having a problem with the car starting. In the mornings when I go to start my car all the lights on the inside dim as if the battery is low. Once the car is started all the lights brighten back up to their noramal brightness. No battery light has came on and nothing has been left on over night. Once it's started and runs for a while it starts up normally but when I wake up the next morning it does the same thing. I was wondering is this the battery or alternator?

Friday, December 30th, 2011 AT 12:54 PM
SATURNTECH9

So have you had the alternator tested?Have you had the battery tested?Also you need to test for parastic draw.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Friday, December 30th, 2011 AT 5:28 PM