I HAVE A 1998 TOYOTA SR5 4 WHEEL DRIVE 4 WHEEL ...

1998 Toyota 4Runner

super1

February, 12, 2013 AT 2:53 AM

I have a 1998 Toyota SR5 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel ABS brakes, with 93000 miles on it. I bought it from the original "older lady" owner in great condition. The only mechanical problem I have had is with a "soft" brake pedal. It goes too far down in my opinion. I have replaced rotors and pads up front. Rear shoes and drums are not new but have lots of life left on them and appear to be adjusted properly. I put a new master cylinder on thinking maybe I had a bad seal. No difference. When I pump the pedal once it stays up and applies brakes well. At first touch on pedal the left front pulls for a split second. I am wondering if I have air trapped in the ABS block or somewhere that I can't figure out or what my problem is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

February, 12, 2013 AT 4:58 PM

Were the front calipers checked for proper operations?
When handbrake are engaged, pump the brake once and test if the pedal is higher, indicating improper brake shoes or hand brake cable adjustment.

super1

February, 18, 2013 AT 3:38 PM

Yes. Front calipers seem to respond properly. I will check the e-brake function, however, I pulled the rear wheels and checked for proper adjustment on rear brakes and they seemed to be good. Does air get trapped in ABS block or somewhere else? I did not attempt to bleed the ABS part of the system.

February, 28, 2013 AT 2:12 PM

ABS system need not be bled as the fluid goes to the wheels.

Try this. Get the vehicle on a sandy patch or on a grass field and while driving at about 20 mph, jam on the brakes to make the ABS kick in. Try it a few times to see if the pedal height becomes higher.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima