IMPREZE PARKING LIGHTS

1998 Subaru Impreza

climb1028

March, 6, 2011 AT 2:09 PM

My girlfriend's 1998 Subaru Impreza Parking Lights came on and won't turn off even after shutting off ignition, turning the lights off manually and removing the key! I saw a similar post by @wsander on the 20th of February. Both the front corner (parking lights) AND the rear tail lights are on full-time now. This was right after I did a tune up where I replaced the air/oil filters and oil, added new oil and oil additive, did a compression test and replaced the spark plugs. The only electrical I touched was the wiring clip to the MAF which I disconnected to move the air intake for access and replaced when I was done. And the washer fluid reservoir which I put back while it was dark and accidentally draped the two sets of wires over the battery clamp-down bolt when I replaced it so the wiring harness that those wires were routed into got pulled up a bit - but it didn't look excessively stressful - the sort of pull you might put on a bundle of wires to move it for access or something. But I'm guessing that has to be the source of my problem. I'm also guessing it is a relay of some sort that is busted or shorted to the always on position, but where do I find it?
Right now I am having to remove the 10A 'lights' fuse every time I leave the car to keep the battery from dying. PLEASE HELP! My girlfriend was super stoked that I changed her oil and tuned her car up but now she suspects that I messed up her electrical and don't know what I'm doing! Help me redeem myself. Thanks!

Tail Light Wiring

climb1028

March, 6, 2011 AT 2:34 PM

Also, the regular headlight relay is working just fine - they turn on and off with the ignition. And the brake lights, turn indicators etc. All work.

March, 6, 2011 AT 2:34 PM

Check the tail and illumnation relay in fuse and relay box. Try swapping it with others to see if problem goes away. A faulty relay can cause the symptoms indicated.

If the relay is not the cause, then you would have to check the Black/White wire between relay and light switch for shorting to body or a faulty light switch.

climb1028

March, 6, 2011 AT 2:49 PM

Oh man! You are quick sir! Despite it being 6: 30am here in Portland, OR I was up and troubled with my dilemma. So after doing a bit of research I saw the simple solution I couldn't see last night while I was cleaning everything up from the late-night tune-up. The parking light button was switched on.

Problem two
I DO have a question about my Toyota Tacoma that's getting really bad gas mileage: I'm going to start with the usual tune-up stuff: Air/oil, new plugs, PCV valve, and check tire pressure and other fluids. Any other options (please don't say catalytic converter, I don't want to spend $600 having that replaced!)

March, 6, 2011 AT 3:05 PM

For the Toyota, get the tune-up done and see how it goes. That should be the starting point.

Have a nice day.

2CarPros Mike

March, 6, 2011 AT 5:35 PM

Hey Matt,
We are glad you were able to find the problem and hope we can help you the next time you need any car repair advice. Have a great day.

Side Marker Bulb Replacement Mini Cooper