CAR WON'T START

1998 Saturn SL2

CAR

December, 2, 2010 AT 1:05 AM

I have a 1998 Saturn SL2 series car. Last month I replaced the battery and last week when I went out to start it all it would do is give off a series of rapid fire clicks. The radio and dash lights all worked but the engine would not turn over. The next day I went out to try to start it again and it was totally dead-no lights, no radio, no dash lights. This happened right after we had our first cold night. For about a week or two I'd been able to get it started but it did give off 2-3 of those rapid fire clicks when I turned the key. I am unsure if the battery was not good to start with and the cold weather stressed it or if I'm having problems with the ignition switch, or the starter or something else. I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks.

December, 2, 2010 AT 1:13 AM

Get the battery load tested to check its condition if okay could a short circuit eating up the battery overnite

No crank at all/nothing/nada when key is engage to starting position

Could be a blown fusible link, the starter, starter relay, clutch switch/park and neutral switch/transmission position switch and ignition switch assuming the battery and connections are good. Note: If it doesn't apply disregard.

fixitmr

December, 2, 2010 AT 1:14 AM

Why did you replace battery? Sounds like battery is draining. Or bad connections at battery. The rapid click is probably starter selinoid firing without enough amperage.(Low battery power) you may have something draining battery like a trunk light staying on?

CAR

December, 2, 2010 AT 3:08 AM

I had to replace the battery because the electric door locks kept switching on and off. I thought that I had it stopped but went out the next day to start the car and the battery was dead. The battery looked like it was leaking acid so I just replaced it. The fuse was bad for the locks so I pulled it out and replaced it but then the locks started rapidly turning on and off again so I just pulled the fuse out and left it out.

fixitmr

December, 2, 2010 AT 9:27 AM

Something freaky is happening with the car apparently? How long have you owned it and has it ever been in a wreck or had work done before this series of events?
A temp solution could be to install a battery switch under hood to disconnect battery from system when car is not in use. This would keep it from draining till you solve electrical problem.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test