WONT REV PAST 4000 WHEN DRIVING!

1998 SAAB 9-5

myinvestment

November, 1, 2011 AT 5:52 AM

Hi, can you tell me why my saab 9-5 wont rev past 4000 when driving? It starts and drives fine plenty of power but it wont rev past 4000 rpm so losing power somwhere: Speed reaches 80mph max. Had new cat, oxygen sensor, fpr, full service regular. Help! Its not in limp mode.

mhpautos

November, 1, 2011 AT 7:10 AM

Manual or auto and does it sound as if it is choking or it is breaking down and missing under load at all?

myinvestment

November, 1, 2011 AT 10:11 AM

Hi,
its a manual. No its not choking no feeling of it breaking down. It seems to take a while to climb the speedo example: 50 - 70 takes ages plus its limit seems to be 80mph on the flat road.

It runs great up to that limit but cant seem to surpass the 4000 rpm range got power from 3rd-4th then it drops off. Climbing a good hill it will drop to about 55 from 80 which baffles me.I suppose you could say the top end power bogs down.

Thanks for replying.

mhpautos

November, 1, 2011 AT 11:34 AM

Check that you are actually getting full throttle at the throttle body with the pedal on the floor.

myinvestment

November, 1, 2011 AT 12:04 PM

Can you tell me what to look at when im doing that. Do I need to look into the throttle body? Should the throttle open fully?
Sorry just need to get it right.
Thanks.

mhpautos

November, 1, 2011 AT 12:26 PM

OK, presuming that it is a cable throttle? I don't have access to my data base just now, with the pedal fully down, check that the throttle plate is fully open, let me know if it is drive by wire (no cable) I will have to check for the test for that system, do not open throttle plat by hand if it is not a cable system, you can damage the drive motor, you can with a cable throttle.

myinvestment

November, 1, 2011 AT 12:30 PM

There is a cable to the throttle body. Im going out to work now but will check that later and I will let you know.
Thankyou for taking the time to help me out its appreciated
thanks.

If it is the throttle not opening fully can it be adjusted by myself?

myinvestment

November, 1, 2011 AT 12:33 PM

Ive just found out its fly by wire on the saab 9-5 throttle.
Thanks.
Hope this helps

mhpautos

November, 1, 2011 AT 12:38 PM

Do not touch then, I will see what I can find out.

myinvestment

November, 1, 2011 AT 12:39 PM

Thankyou.

mhpautos

November, 1, 2011 AT 1:00 PM

A diagnostic scan will show up any problem with the throttle position switch and the throttle motor.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars