MY 98 SAAB 93 DOESNT WANNA START UP SOMETIMES, HOW DO I TELL IF ITS THE STARTER OR FUEL PUMP OR WHAT

• shannon 100
  • 1998 SAAB 9-3

I can try to start, it may or may not, may or may not have a lil backfire to it, may or may not try to bog dwn and die at a red light, just never know if she will start, im a woman and dont no if its a fuel pump or starter or what, UGH

Friday, December 9th, 2011 AT 10:34 PM

• rasmataz

Do you have a check engine light and when was last tune-up?

Start by having the fuel pressure check

Friday, December 9th, 2011 AT 10:47 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

When this happens, does the starter work?

Friday, December 9th, 2011 AT 10:48 PM
  • shannon 100

No check engine light, it cranks just dont start til it wants to

Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 1:14 AM
  • rasmataz

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 1:52 AM
  • shannon 100

Well thank you its a start and I will try all you have mentioned, also wondering if my battery cable may be kinda loose, if that could affect the starting.

Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 2:15 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Yes yes yes. The battery terminals must be clean, tight, and free of corrosion.

Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 3:15 AM