CHECK ENGINE SOON LIGHT FLASHING AND CAR SURGING...WHAT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED?

1998 Pontiac Transport

angelkisses4jtjs

June, 27, 2012 AT 12:51 PM

I have a 1998 pontiac transport that has had the check engine soon light on since February and then all of a sudden a few days ago I went to leave and it started flashing and the felt like it was surging but didnt seem to lose any power and seems like it runs fine when sitting at an idle. I was thinking O2 sensor but not sure. Any ideas?

Wrenchtech

June, 27, 2012 AT 1:07 PM

Why would you ignore the light since February? You need to have to codes read and go from there. The flashing part is telling you that you have a misfire so bad that you are destroying the catalytic Converter.

angelkisses4jtjs

June, 28, 2012 AT 1:44 AM

Did not ignore the light on purpose just didnt and still dont have the money to take and have someone hook it up to a code reader. What are some possible and more common reasons that the check engine light comes on?

June, 28, 2012 AT 2:54 AM

Its free of charge-take it to Autozone and get scanned

angelkisses4jtjs

June, 28, 2012 AT 11:14 AM

One last question. If I get it scanned and fix what is wrong with it what are the chances that I wont have to replace the catylitic converter as well? Thanks everyone for your input you have really helped me!

Wrenchtech

June, 28, 2012 AT 11:28 AM

That just depends on how bad it's been running for how long. I have no way of knowing that.

June, 28, 2012 AT 11:31 AM

We don't know the chances of you replacing the Cat-the scantool has to identify the problem area -We're not in the guessing business