CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO NEXT TO TRY AND FIX MY TRANS. ISSUE?

1998 Pontiac Grand Am

jerseyboop99

September, 6, 2011 AT 5:37 PM

I have a 1998 pontiac grand am 2.4L manual trans. After an accident, that wound up with my car in a lake, a friend and I brought the car back to life. Yet, I still have a problem with the transmission. It won’t shift until I hit 4k rpm, which affects my driving as well as my gas consumption (i.E. Doing 40 at 3500 rpm). The trans fluid has been changed several times and I just recently replaced the vacuum mod which everyone that I spoke to about my issue seemed to think was the problem. Well there is still no change in the shifting. I can’t shift it manually (up or down gear), my overdrive doesn’t work and neither does my cruise. Can you give me some pointers on where to go from here…. Besides a trans specialist. Is there anything I might be able to do myself?

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

September, 6, 2011 AT 5:48 PM

You don't have a vacuum modulator on a manual transmission-must be an idiot that told you that-start by checking the clutch assy-seems to me its slipping on that high of an RPM.

jerseyboop99

September, 6, 2011 AT 8:08 PM

According to the Haynes repair manual I do and the part that I replaced matched exactly to what they called a vacuum mod. Thanks for the suggestion, hope it helps!

September, 7, 2011 AT 11:36 AM

Show me how it looks

Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars