ENGINE SERVICE LIGHT IS ON

• borenstein
  • 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix

I brought my car to advance auto to have them give me the service code. It is p0108 which says manifold absolute pressure or barometric pressure circuit high input. Can this have anything to do with intake manifold gaskets? I had that repair done about 9 months ago.

Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 12:44 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

This is an electrical issue and not a leak. Check the wiring to the MAP sensor for corrosion or damage. Also, check the sensor.

Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 12:48 AM
  • borenstein

Thanks. I am only holding the car for about another 9 months (only 2,000 miles as it is driven by my daughter). Any "risk/danger" associated with this?

Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 12:51 AM
  • saturntech9

Just to add to this one do you have a scan tool that can read live engine data?That would really help to see what the map sensor is reading to diagnose the code.

Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 12:55 AM
  • borenstein

No, I don't. I can ask around to see if anyone has one. I know next to nothing about cars and am just trying to not sink money I don't have into this car.

Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 12:57 AM
  • saturntech9

Let us know what you come up with because the first step for a code like that will be to check with a scan tool what that sensor is reading back to the computer.

Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 1:00 AM
  • borenstein

Will do. Is there any risk/danger is I try to run the car another 2,000 miles (going to get rid of it when my daughter goes to college)

Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 1:02 AM
  • saturntech9

Its going to probably be a map sensor or the wiring to it. Its going to leave you stranded at some point though thats you danger.

Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 1:07 AM
  • borenstein

Ok, thanks. She never travels more than about 2-4 miles from home (school, work, etc), so I guess if that is the worse thing (as opposed to fire, etc), might take the risk. Would you "guess" this might be expensive repair? Seems like it is impossible to not spend $400 on anything these days!

Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 1:10 AM
  • saturntech9

If you can find a scanner and we figure it out together maybe a 100 in parts thats just a guess though.

Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 1:24 AM
  • borenstein

My I ask you one other thing? The gas mileage has dropped quite a bit. Can that have anything to do witht this issue?

Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 2:44 AM