ENGINE SERVICE LIGHT IS ON

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix

borenstein

January, 5, 2012 AT 12:44 AM

I brought my car to advance auto to have them give me the service code. It is p0108 which says manifold absolute pressure or barometric pressure circuit high input. Can this have anything to do with intake manifold gaskets? I had that repair done about 9 months ago.

Jacobandnickolas

January, 5, 2012 AT 12:48 AM

This is an electrical issue and not a leak. Check the wiring to the MAP sensor for corrosion or damage. Also, check the sensor.

borenstein

January, 5, 2012 AT 12:51 AM

Thanks. I am only holding the car for about another 9 months (only 2,000 miles as it is driven by my daughter). Any "risk/danger" associated with this?

saturntech9

January, 5, 2012 AT 12:55 AM

Just to add to this one do you have a scan tool that can read live engine data?That would really help to see what the map sensor is reading to diagnose the code.

borenstein

January, 5, 2012 AT 12:57 AM

No, I don't. I can ask around to see if anyone has one. I know next to nothing about cars and am just trying to not sink money I don't have into this car.

saturntech9

January, 5, 2012 AT 1:00 AM

Let us know what you come up with because the first step for a code like that will be to check with a scan tool what that sensor is reading back to the computer.

borenstein

January, 5, 2012 AT 1:02 AM

Will do. Is there any risk/danger is I try to run the car another 2,000 miles (going to get rid of it when my daughter goes to college)

saturntech9

January, 5, 2012 AT 1:07 AM

Its going to probably be a map sensor or the wiring to it. Its going to leave you stranded at some point though thats you danger.

borenstein

January, 5, 2012 AT 1:10 AM

Ok, thanks. She never travels more than about 2-4 miles from home (school, work, etc), so I guess if that is the worse thing (as opposed to fire, etc), might take the risk. Would you "guess" this might be expensive repair? Seems like it is impossible to not spend $400 on anything these days!

saturntech9

January, 5, 2012 AT 1:24 AM

If you can find a scanner and we figure it out together maybe a 100 in parts thats just a guess though.

borenstein

January, 5, 2012 AT 2:44 AM

My I ask you one other thing? The gas mileage has dropped quite a bit. Can that have anything to do witht this issue?

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Dynamat Door Installation
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement