How do I bypass the wires to roll up the driver side window

HOLLYWOOD0260
  • 1998 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
The control for the driver side window went out but it has two switches.
Thursday, April 5th, 2012 AT 7:38 PM

Check and test the driver's side switch-if you want open it up and disconnect the window motor and apply power and ground to it-the window will either go down or up.

Here is a guide that shows you how to bypass the switch to work the motor:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/electric-window-repair

Here are the wiring diagrams so you can see how the system works. Brown and dark blue or the motor wiring colors you want to ground and put power down. Connect two small jumper wires to the motor connector's terminals, connect the other end of one of those jumper wires to ground, (a paint-free spot on the body), then touch the other end of the second wire to the terminals in the switch connector, one at a time. When you touch the one with constant 12 volts, (ignition switch on), the window motor will try to run. If it runs the wrong way or is already all the way down, switch the two wires around on the motor connector, then try again. That will make it run the other way.

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers
+1
Thursday, April 5th, 2012 AT 7:53 PM
JWINT40
  • 1998 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
I have a 1998 Grand Prix GT and my driver's side window will not roll up. It will roll down, but just not up. All the other windows work fine as well, leaving me to believe it is not a circuit breaker.

I have tried to manually roll up the window but it will not go up.
+2
Monday, September 24th, 2018 AT 2:09 PM (Merged)
Open it up and investigate what is preventing it.
NMLOREE
Could be a bad window regulator (which moves the window up and down). There could be just enough power to lower it but not enough to push it up. Or the seal around the window could be pushed down and preventing it from rolling up.
IMPORTTUNER
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
It is the front passenger door window, I rolled it down and now when I press the button to roll it back up it will not come up and the window is all the way down.
Check to see if there is power to the motor. If there is, check the motor. If no power, check the switch for power.
IMPORTTUNER
When I press it down like to roll it down there is a click noise, but it just will not come back up. It is cold because it is winter.
Have you checked to see of there is power to the motor when you try to wind it up?
IMPORTTUNER
Well it just did it like one hour ago, when I press the button the motor does not even make a sound like the other window does.
RJGOLF22
  • 1997 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
I replaced the motor and the regulator. It appears that the glass is getting caught up on the track. Causing it to leave the track and not close correctly. The front dips as it goes up and forces it off the track. Is there an adjustment I am missing? Or is the felt track worn out?
ERNEST CLARK
Take off the the trim panel to the other door and compare both window regulators and where the window bolts to the regulator. You will be able to tell if you have missed something. (The felt will not cause this)

If everything appears in order, then your regulator is probably bent.
IMPORTTUNER
The window is all the way down in the door so am I going to have to take the panel off to assist it back up.
+1
SATURNTECH9
You can use a test light to check and see if you have a bad switch which would be easier then pulling the panel if its the switch. Also, those motors do not have pellets they have a thermal breaker to shut the motor off when fully up and fully down.
IMPORTTUNER
Can anyone get me a manual or a tell me how to take the door panel off on this particular model?
+1
SATURNTECH9
So you tested the window switch to rule that out?Just trying to save you the hassle of pulling the door panel for nothing.
CORYADAMS
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
Why will my driver side front window not close? The motor sounds to be working fine both ways but it sounds like it is not catching the window. Before it stopped opening or closing at all it would make a rattling noise when I would close it, it sounded like marbles.
WRENCHTECH
If you can hear the motor running and the glass is not moving, then you have a bad regulator and it will have to be replaced. You may find it is sold with a motor included.
IMPORTTUNER
Yes, I did and it was not the switch. So can some one just tell me how?
SATURNTECH9
Here you go.