Turn off the engine the low beams will come on

CYNTHIA12
  • 1998 PONTIAC GRAND AM

I have a 98 pontiac grand am that when I turn off the engine the low beams will come back on or stay on as well as if the ac/heater is on it will continue to blow in order to get everything to go off I have to keep turning the key and hoping that it will turn off and most the time will come back on and the car will die. Any ideas of what I can do? Thanks

Wednesday, June 20th, 2012 AT 7:06 PM

ASEMASTER6371

Common for ignition switch failures. Have the switch checked for shorting.

Otherwise, it may have a failed bcm module. This can be checked by a shop with a scan tool.

Wednesday, June 20th, 2012 AT 7:09 PM
CYNTHIA12

I have been trying to get through to people that it probably is the ignition switch but they took the steering wheel column off and pulled a wire and that turned the lights off and on so they think that it has to do with an electrical problem would that be a part of the ignition switch in that case?

Wednesday, June 20th, 2012 AT 8:51 PM
ASEMASTER6371

Not necessarily. You need a good electrical shop. Do not try and tell them there job. Let them find the failure and tell you the failure.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Wednesday, June 20th, 2012 AT 11:32 PM