I NEED HELP

1998 Pontiac Firebird

justintaylor1234

December, 19, 2011 AT 3:25 AM

I have a 1998 firebird 3.8 v6 it wont start and I need help? For a while it would run but still backfire and my rpm gaige would jump and then die. Now it wont even start but still backfires when you turn the key over. It has brand new plugs wires coils.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

rivermikerat

December, 19, 2011 AT 3:31 AM

Pull #1 plug. Rotate the engine until the #1 piston reaches the top of its rotation. Look at the harmonic balancer. You should see a notch lined up with the timing mark on the timing cover. If not, rotate the engine 180 degrees, bringing the piston up and check again. Remove the distributor cap. The rotor electrode should be pointing to #1 plug wire tower. If not, loosen the distributor hold down, replace the plug and cap, and slowly turn the distributor until the engine fires. If this doesn't work, check for spark and fuel delivery. If these are good, you most likely have a timing chain that has skipped gears.