HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN A TIMING CHAIN IS OUT CAR ...

1998 Pontiac Bonneville

kellyleidingschladenhauffen

October, 28, 2012 AT 2:55 PM

How do you know when a timing chain is out, car just stopped in driveway, is getting fuel. Is there any easy way of checking it?

October, 28, 2012 AT 3:04 PM

If the timing chain breaks, the chances are the engine would most likely be seized. The top part of engine would not turn and if you can see the valve trains from the oil filler cap, cranking the engine would allow you to see if they are working. Other than that you would have to at least remove the valve cover or perform a compression test.

Have you checked for sparks?

kellyleidingschladenhauffen

October, 28, 2012 AT 3:53 PM

The valves are working. Here is what happen, yesterday morning we were backing out of our driveway to go to my son's football gamem (the car ran fine earlier that moring when I was taking him to high school to catch the bus) it jumped a few times and then seized. We tried to restart it and nothing. A few hours later we tried it and it is now getting fuel and we have check and the valves are working. And the sparks are fine.

October, 29, 2012 AT 12:08 PM

What do you mean by nothing when you tried to start?
Try some starting fluids. Have the engine compression tested.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement