POWER STEERING

1998 Plymouth Voyager

ArtyJC65

February, 27, 2014 AT 12:34 PM

Hi there

Just recently we have been hearing a sort of flapping noise from under the hood on our Voyager. Today, the flapping stopped suddenly but the power steering packed up and now it feels like trying to turn an army tank around on a postage stamp just trying to get it around a corner. Can you give me any clues as to the cause of this and what it is likely to cost to fix?

Arty

hmac300

March, 2, 2014 AT 8:58 AM

Check to see what condition your belt is in probably shot. If so replace belt and tensioner local prices vary

ArtyJC65

March, 3, 2014 AT 5:05 PM

Thanks, yes it was the belt, more or less shredded. Why do I need to replace the tension pulley? Would it be ruined if the belt breaks? I ask this because I didn't get your reply until after I changed the belt and now there's a squeak, even though the belt the is tight and properly on. I am wondering if it is a metal on metal squeal from the pulley?

hmac300

March, 4, 2014 AT 7:01 AM

Because tensioner lose their tension just like a belt wears and need to be replaced at asame time.

Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal
Steering Intermediate Shafts Replacement
Replace Tie Rod End
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200