ENGINE WILL OVERHEAT SPORADICALLY

1998 Plymouth Voyager

kenholley

November, 12, 2012 AT 1:59 AM

Engine will overheat sporadically. New water pump and thermostat with no improvement. I can stop and turn it off, and the coolant is boiling in the reservoir. After only 15 or 20 minutes, I can re-start it, and the temperature will return to normal, maybe climb again shortly, or stay normal. I even tried running without a thermostat with no improvement, so I put another new one in, just to be sure. Both radiator fans seem to be working OK.

November, 12, 2012 AT 11:10 AM

Flush out the radiator and then bleed the cooling system and see what happens-Continue to overheat-have it chemically tested-

kenholley

November, 13, 2012 AT 12:16 AM

Thank you for your response. I just had the water pump installed last week, which would have pretty much drained the system, I guess. They used 2 gallons of coolant to refill it. Wasn't a flush, though. I'll try that. I've never heard of the chemical testing. What chemical and test for what?

November, 13, 2012 AT 12:23 AM

They call it Bloc Chek its liquid that turns to different color when it indicates a blown headgasket-

November, 13, 2012 AT 12:24 AM

Refer to this link: http://www.blockchek.com/

kenholley

November, 13, 2012 AT 12:25 AM

Thank you, if the head gasket were blown, wouldn't I see water in the oil or oil in the coolant?

November, 13, 2012 AT 12:29 AM

Have you tried bleeding it out? If not do it and see what happens

Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet