I PUT A SMALL AMOUNT OF OIL IN THE GAS TANK OF MY JET SKI.

1998 All Other Makes Recreational Vehicles

TehBombSquad

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:16 PM

I put about 6-8 oz of marine 2-stroke oil in the gas tank of my 1998 sea-doo GS. The tank had about 8 gallons of gas in it. The engine is a 718cc 2-stroke motor. I have not run the ski yet and the oil is only in the tank. I don't want to drain the whole tank, but I will if I must. Would it be OK to run the engine with the oil in the tank because it is a 2-stroke? If not, what is the best option.

saturntech9

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:21 PM

Yes you have to mix oil in the gas for a two stroke or you will damage the engine.I perfer to mix the oil in the gas can so I can shake the can good for a good mix. Also that model doesnt have a oil injection pump where you add oil to a seperate tank from the gas?Also what is the oil ratio supposed to be for that model?

saturntech9

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:24 PM

Also you said you out 6-8 ozs of oil in the gas you should always know exactly how much oil you mixed in the gas with a two stroke engine. What kind of oil did you use?

TehBombSquad

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:26 PM

You add the gas and oil separately. Its mixes the oil and gas before it is injected. The gas tank is not supposed to have any oil in it, but I was not paying attention and the caps are the exact same (apart from the little logo) and on the same spot on opposite sides of the ski.

TehBombSquad

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:28 PM

The image I provided shows the oil filler cap side. You can see it just behind the "hood" portion which is purple. I filled the wrong side (the gas side)

saturntech9

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:34 PM

The oil ratio will be a lot higher putting oil in the tank it could foul plugs run like crap etc.

TehBombSquad

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:36 PM

Also, the engine is supposed to have a 50: 1 gas to oil ratio. The oil is a tc-w3 (non-synthetic, I think) 2-stroke marine oil.

TehBombSquad

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:38 PM

As long as it does not cause permanent damage, and will run fine once the oil is out of the tank, I will be fine. If not I will siphon it.

Wrenchtech

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:38 PM

It's really no big deal. Just dilute it as much as possible with more fuel. It may smoke a little but won't hurt anything.

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:40 PM

This is not going to damage the engine except for some additional pollution (excessive smoke) that it is going to send out. Apart from that, there is nothing to worry about.

TehBombSquad

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:41 PM

Ok, I knew it would smoke, but I can fill up the tank and run it for awhile. Thank you both for the help.

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Replace Your Fuel Pump Relay - Easy Steps
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006