HOW CAN YOU TELL IF YOUR A/C CLUTCH IS WORKING CORRECTLY?

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue

Dnice488

June, 19, 2012 AT 3:05 PM

I have an A/C problem with a 1998 Oldsmobile intrigue with 175000 miles. My A/C is not blowing cold air and would like some advice on how to resolve this issue. I can hear and see the A/C clutch engage when turned on. How can you tell if your A/C clutch is working correctly? I have a friend who tested the pressure in my A/C. The low side pressure is 80psi and the high side is 120psi. Is that normal for this vehicle?

Wrenchtech

June, 19, 2012 AT 3:09 PM

Your pressures indicate serious issues that need to be fully diagnosed by an A/C specialist. This is not something you can diagnose yourself.

June, 19, 2012 AT 3:18 PM

If the clutch is engaged with the reading posted, it indicates a bad compressor.

Wrenchtech

June, 19, 2012 AT 3:44 PM

The compressor is the obvious failure but there will be other issues that both caused the failure and other that may have been the result of the failure. Slapping a compressor on it will not resolve anything and actually damage the system worse.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet