I HAD A CLOSE FRIEND OF MINE REPAIR THE UPPER ...

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue

lucky2012

November, 13, 2012 AT 12:37 AM

I had a close friend of mine repair the Upper & Lower Intake Manifold gasket on my car about a week ago. I went to pick it up a few days ago and noticed while driving it the engine light came on and it began to drive a little rough. I took it to Auto Zone and was given a code of P0171.

I took it into a repair shop today to try and figure out what was going on with it. The mechanic stated that one of my vacuum hose line was broken and the other one was leaking, so therefore they removed & replaced vacuum line assembly(Intake to press reg & purge solenoid) & repaired the damaged vaccum hose assembly also.

My question is, was the cause of this from the Intake Manifold Gaskets being installed wrong?

November, 13, 2012 AT 12:41 AM

No, gaskets were ok according to you. Vacuum lines were damaged from moving around. Thats what happens when you have someone other than a shop do the repair

lucky2012

November, 13, 2012 AT 1:01 AM

The gentleman that repaired my vehicle also told me that he noticed the engine light did come on after he replaced the gaskets and when he drove it around also that it ran rough for him before I had even picked it up. He just never informed me about this until after the fact. I was just wondering what would have caused the vacuum lines to fail after I got this repair done since I did not have any problems with them until now.

I've learned my lession to always take my vehicles to a licensed mechanic from now on ASEMaster6371.

November, 13, 2012 AT 1:03 AM

Good. He most likely did break the lines but considering the age, it is not un common. He should never had returned it to you this way without repairing it properly

Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro
Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Camaro