WHERE IS THE FREEZE PLUGS LOCATED AND HOW DO U INSTALL THEM

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue

cristinamichel

December, 27, 2011 AT 4:42 AM

Need to install new freeze plug but don't know where they are located

Jacobandnickolas

December, 27, 2011 AT 4:51 AM

Freeze plugs are on the engine block (sides)

They are nothing more than a steel plug that is designed to push out in the event of freezing to prevent the engine block from damage.

I just use a screw driver or other device to pry them out of the block. Once out, I clean the area and replace the plug with a new one. I start the plug into position and then, I place a small piece of wood over it and tap it in with a hammer. The wood keeps it straight when putting it in.

cristinamichel

December, 27, 2011 AT 5:40 AM

So its just that simple! I have the freeze plug just don't know where they are located on a 98 oldsmobile intrigue

cristinamichel

December, 27, 2011 AT 5:45 AM

What has to be removed to get to the freeze plugs?

Jacobandnickolas

December, 27, 2011 AT 6:01 AM

The freeze plugs are on the exterior of the engine block. The only thing you MAY need to remove is if there is a mounting bracket or the equal blocking it.

Please keep in mind, you need to drain the coolant before replacing one of these. Otherwise, it will all leak out from the removed plug area.

Wrenchtech

December, 27, 2011 AT 10:58 AM

Although this sounds simple, everything depends on clear access to the plug and that is rare. There are freeze plugs all over the engine and gaining access to some of them can be nearly impossible. Some require removing the transmission, some require removing to engine to access. Others can require extensive engine dissassembly to gain access.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro
Oil Change/Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
 Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005