SINCE I AM CURRENTLY UNEMPLOYED I FIND IT ...

• rzrbckrick
  • 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora

Since I am currently unemployed I find it difficult to pay the potential it might cost for a repair shop to get my tail lights (and dash lights which I understand are also not working as a warning that the car's tail lights are out). As a quick, inexpensive fix, would it be possible to simply wire tail lights direct to the battery to an on/off switch added to my dash? If possible how would that look on a simple wiring diagram? Would resistors, reducers, etc. Also be necessary to accomplish this?

Thanks for any help.I certainly appreciate all the help I can get.

Sunday, January 1st, 2012 AT 11:04 PM

• saturntech9

So the dash and running/parking lights are out?If so have you checked the parking light fuse yet?Also do you have a multimeter?

Sunday, January 1st, 2012 AT 11:09 PM
  • rasmataz

Find the wire that powers the tail light and wire it from the battery thru a toggle switch

Sunday, January 1st, 2012 AT 11:12 PM
  • saturntech9

I would check the fuse and try to fix it correctly before mickey mousing anything.

Sunday, January 1st, 2012 AT 11:49 PM
  • rasmataz

Hey-it works for me on a 911 situation-but just try the fuse who knows could be a blown fuse as stated or your headlamp switch is kaput that needs replacing.

Then again using the toggle -can create a backfeed to other circuits that's tied into the running lights -cancel out on my suggestion-

Sunday, January 1st, 2012 AT 11:58 PM
  • rzrbckrick

Saturntech9 and rasmataz. Thanks for the quick responses. Not sure where I will turn but as indicated earlier. Even though this ol' car has been good to me (27,000 miles when I bought it May-2001), I have be careful what I can or can't spend. All I have heard from the Mechanics around here is remarks like, "it could be $50, or it could be $500. It's hard to say until we get into it."

Again, Thanks gentlemen for your advice.I appreciate it

Monday, January 2nd, 2012 AT 12:53 AM
  • saturntech9

Its really hard to say without getting into it but have you checked your parking fuse yet?Also do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

Monday, January 2nd, 2012 AT 12:59 AM