I WAS DRIVING TODAY STOPPED AT A STORE WHEN I ...

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva

Shockrim

November, 24, 2012 AT 7:41 PM

HI, I was driving today, stopped at a store when I started it and the car devoloped a "misfire". I stopped at 2 auto stores to pull the codes since the check engine light was flashing. Both places could not read anything from the ecu. I put injector cleaner and gas in. Ran it for 12 miles back home with no change. I am open to ideas on how to get the codes from the ecu or to fix it. Thanks, Brian

November, 24, 2012 AT 7:50 PM

Did they use a scanner that shows live engine data or just tried to read codes? Does pin 16 at the datalink connmector have voltage? Pins 4 and 5 are grounds.

Shockrim

November, 24, 2012 AT 8:06 PM

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. They used a live engine data reader. It powers up the scanner then it powers down the scanner before it gets the chance to read it.

Shockrim

November, 24, 2012 AT 10:00 PM

Hi again. I decided to look at the spark plugs, found them worn and out of gap. So I cleaned and set the gap. Runs like new again. Still dont know why the ecu wont read.

November, 25, 2012 AT 2:39 PM

Glad you got it fixed. Not sure about datalink connector? Sounds like it may be losing voltage or ground?