I HAVEHAD A 94 NISSIAN ALTIMIA 2

1998 Nissan Altima

M. G.

February, 21, 2013 AT 11:21 PM

I have/had a 94 nissian Altimia 2.4. A new motor was put in 4 - 5 years ago. The new motor is for the 98 Nissan Altima, (2nd generation of the motor. Having trouble starting the car. Sounds like it wants to start, but won't. We can hear the fuel pump working and fuel is in the fuel lines. Battery works fine.

Replaced:
spark plugs - they were fouled and smelled of gas
dist. Cap & rotor - they were worn out
ignition coil - was not producing enough spark
fuel pressure regulator - getting too much fuel pressure 80 psi

Still unable to start the car, turned the distributor 180 degrees and the car started. That is when we relized the timing chain was broken, or stretched. Repalced timing chain and it fired up. Car was started 2x a day for a week, now - car won't start agin.

cadieman

February, 21, 2013 AT 11:33 PM

Recheck the timing chain.

M. G.

February, 22, 2013 AT 12:49 AM

Timing is off. But piston is up and everything else aligns. When we moving the timing to the right mark - piston is down.

Also, still too much fuel pressure.

cadieman

February, 22, 2013 AT 7:44 PM

Does it run on spray in the intake. You need to get the engine on top dead center on compression stroke. Take number one spark plug out hold your finger over the whole while someone bumps the key. When you feel compression on your finger stop. Then turn the engine crank until the timing marks lineup feel inside the cylinder and the piston it will be up. Then remove the distributor
cap and see if the rotor is pointing towards the number one wire. Start here and then get back to me

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test