MY CAR IS SQUEALING REALLY LOUD RIGHT WHEN I START IT UP FOR ABOUT 45 SECONDS

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse

cam854

February, 13, 2012 AT 1:08 AM

Iit will go away and then come back after a little bit. I thought it was my power steering or pc tension pulley. So I just cut my belt off to see if it would stop. Turned the car on and its still making a really loud squeal. What could this be?

fixitmr

February, 13, 2012 AT 1:23 AM

It sounds like the serpentine belt is loose or worn out, go here to get more info:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-serpentine-belt

thanks for using 2carpros.com

cam854

February, 13, 2012 AT 1:27 AM

Okay thanks so it shouldnt be the water pump? Because it dosnt have any over heating problems. How bad is it to drive it like this?

fixitmr

February, 13, 2012 AT 1:35 AM

Yon can use a tube to ear or auto stethoscope to pinpoint noise. Alternator could be belt or bearings

cam854

February, 13, 2012 AT 2:04 AM

Its already loud enough I dont wanna blow my ear drums =D so lets say its the alternator how bad is it to drive like this? The sound only last for about 45 seconds and it will randomly come back.

fixitmr

February, 13, 2012 AT 2:14 AM

Sounds like belt slip really. Especially if it's serpentine belt? No biggy in that case. Either tension is incorrect or belt grooves are worn out.

fixitmr

February, 13, 2012 AT 2:16 AM

What motor is it?

cam854

February, 13, 2012 AT 4:16 AM

2.0 liter dohc non turbo. I cut the serpentine belt off already to see if that was the problem, so tomorrow ill go ahead and coat the belt with some belt conditioner and see what happens from there. Thanks for all your help =)

fixitmr

February, 13, 2012 AT 5:26 AM

See what happens : -)

Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox
Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD