ARE BOTH TENSIONER PULLEYS FOR MY THE SAME?

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse

venomf7@hotmail.com

November, 26, 2011 AT 7:33 AM

I recently found out how my eclipse belt system works. There is an accessory belt that runs the power steering and a/c I think. The problem with my car is that the tensioner for the accessory belt is no good anymore and I need a replacement one. What I was wondering is if the timing belt tensioner and the accessory belt tensioner for my car are the same thing and if so then I would be able to buy a timing belt tensioner to replace my bad accessory belt tensioner. The only reason I ask this is because I have not been able to find one accessory belt tensioner for this car and was starting to think this. Am I right what should I do?

mhpautos

November, 26, 2011 AT 3:00 PM

These tensioners are different, the auto tensioner for the external drive belts will be called a serpentine belt tensioner, the timing belt tensioner is a very different style and is only designed for the timing belt.

Matthew Jackson

December, 9, 2011 AT 7:57 AM

I have a 99 Eclipse GS with the 420A? 2.0 dohc, no turbo and have the same problem. They say (auto parts stores) that its not a common part and is a special dealer order thats pricey.

Air Filter Replacement Ford Explorer
Oil and Filter Replacement BMW M5 2005-2010
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Accord
Air Filter Replacement
Air Filter Replacement Honda Accord