POWER STEERING FLUID LEAK

1998 Mercury Sable

mbongiov

March, 11, 2012 AT 12:47 AM

My 1998 Sable is losing power steering fluid. I finally bought some dye which I poured into the power steering reservoir and tracked the leak to what appears to be a sensor near the firewall on the driver's side of the engine compartment. It has a two-wire connector on top of it, and as far as I can tell, the leak is coming from the base of the sensor, though it doesn't feel loose. What is this sensor, and can I just replace it and not the whole assembly it's part of?

caradiodoc

March, 11, 2012 AT 12:56 AM

Does it look like this? That's a pressure switch that is available separately.

mbongiov

March, 13, 2012 AT 12:23 PM

Thanks! That's exactly what it was. I replaced the sensor and the leaking stopped. You guys are great!

caradiodoc

March, 14, 2012 AT 6:08 PM

All right. One in a row!

2xPutt

June, 11, 2012 AT 10:59 PM

I just found this topic through a google search on a power steering problem I have on my fiancee's mother's mercury sable and was hoping that you guys could answer me. I am having the same exact issue mbongiov was having even AFTER replacing the power steering pump and pulley. This might be the final solution in fixing this problem. Do you have a picture or diagram on where this is located? I could not for the life of me find it while doing a search behind the engine. Thank you so much if you can help me!

mbongiov

June, 11, 2012 AT 11:08 PM

If you stand on the driver's side and look under the hood down below the master cylinder about a foot, you'll see something that looks exactly like the picture the guys printed above. The silver cylindrical part shown in the picture is only about an inch in diameter.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal