All warning and dash lights plus all gauges not working

GRENVILLECL
  • 1998 MERCEDES BENZ C200

I went into town, switched off, did shopping, came back, turned on ign. Everything is dead, only lights that come on are alternator and h/brake, car starts fine, those lights go out, drove 45km home, no prob, checked all fuses in engine compartment and boot with test light, both sides ok, checked main wiring harness which plugs into rear of the cluster, no prob. Disconnected batt, left it off for 5 minutes, and reconnected, hoping that the computer will reset. Did not work. Batt is new, alternator charging 100%. Blower motor also not working, yet the two control selectors(speed of motor, and position of air directed)light up when ign is turned on, even though the lights are not turned on.

All lights, indicators and electronic ignition lock working fine, I did say all gauges not working, speedo, tachometer, fuel and temp. Gauges. Horn ok. The high beam h/light in dash works, as do the indicator lights in the dash. Sorry, I do not know how to check for trouble codes, and finally, my C200 is a manual g/box.

Tough one hey!

Tuesday, September 18th, 2012 AT 2:46 PM

KHLOW2008

You would need a scan tool to check for trouble codes. The instrument cluster and A/C is powered by fuse # 30. Did you try taking the fuse out and reinstalling?

+1
Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 AT 12:52 PM
GRENVILLECL

Seems to me we just running around in circles, Please read my original question right through to the end, because both of yr replies have been unnecessary, I had already said I checked ALL FUSES, removed and replaced all, they were clean like new, and fitted tightly. Just to put you in the picture, I am a 70yr old pensioner, I was a motor mechanic for 45yrs, and was one of two of the most highly qualified BMW mechanics (Technician)in S.A. At the time, but technology has left me behind, and had never ever worked on Mecedes Benz. My SA pension of R1200.00/ a month does not allow me tyo take the car to the dealership, hence requesting help from you guys. Thank you.

+2
Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 AT 3:21 PM
KHLOW2008

Sorry about that but there were nomention of removing and reinstalling the fuses. We work on the blind side here and do not know the technical abilities of the people we are dealing with and quite often when someone tells us they have checked the fuses, we go around in circles and in the end, the fuse was the problem.

Pre y2k technology for vehicles did not really skyrocket, especially for basic electrical systems. What you have is a fault with the electrical system and you don't need to understand rocket sicence to diagnose a missing link.

Mercedes of the era of your vehicle are notorious for wire harness fault requiring the harnesses to be replaced after a certain period of time.

Have a nice day.

+1
Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 AT 8:58 PM
GRENVILLECL

I really did not mean my reply to be rude, I was only trying to point out that all the simple options to repair the problem have been done. I know that. For example, Nissan in my time had self diagnostic mode built into the computer, one had to first switch it on then read the code it showed by two blinking l.E.D. Lights. I was hoping you could enlighten me with the merc, I though it might have something similar, the only thing i'm sure of is that a Auto electrician has a computer which he plugs in to help him trace the fault, but i'm not sure if it applies to the electrical system. So basically I was hoping you guys knew of the problem from other merc owners, or something similar, and had a "fix" for the problem. Again my apologies for the way I answered you.
Best regards, Grenville

Thursday, September 20th, 2012 AT 7:16 AM
KHLOW2008

A scan tool, not a code reader, is required to test communications between the various control modules but for your vehicle, I could not find any information to accessing the meter cluster module.

You need to check the power supply and grounding circuit to it and if all works out, the meter cluster itself is faulty.

Some meter clusters fails when a contact of the circuit board solder cracks up and I believe that is where you should be looking at.

Thursday, September 20th, 2012 AT 8:55 AM
GRENVILLECL

Hi KHLow2008, MAN! You guys are good, I went to the fuse box, rechecked #30, ok, removed the fuse box to check underneath, sure enough, when I pulled on one of the live wires, it STRETCHED, I knew immediately that when the wire was crimped on the terminal, the actual wire was cut, but left the plastic intact, I have experienced that a couple of times in my life. Any way I soldered the wire back on and YES. All the problems have gone. Thank you so much. Now about the donation, i'm not sure if I can do an EFT to your account, being across the water so to speak, can you fill me in on how it gets done. Thanks again Buddy!

+1
Friday, September 21st, 2012 AT 1:11 PM
KHLOW2008

You're welcome. Glad to know you have the problem fixed.

Have a nice weekend.

Friday, September 21st, 2012 AT 2:26 PM
GRENVILLECL

OK, but will have to do it tomorrow, as my wife has gone shopping with my credit card. Hope she doesn't blow all my cash, hahaha, only joking.

Friday, September 21st, 2012 AT 2:41 PM
KHLOW2008

Anytime will do and thanks for the donation.

Friday, September 21st, 2012 AT 9:12 PM
GRANDAD - RAY

I wish to ask if anyone might help concerning my Mercedes kompressor 2004 saloon.

I used the car to date fine with everything in working order.

Today I went to the car and it started ok BUT the centre dash panel was completely out with no indicator lights or sounds working at all.

The general lights are for seat belts, fuel gauge, parking brake, speedometer, main beam, plus the sound for all indicators, and for the doors opened.

The w/wipers and horn worked as did interior lights.

Interestingly the car behaved perfectly otherwise, although the main lights were fully on when driven.

The rear lights and brake lights did work as did the horn.

Please help !

Saturday, February 4th, 2017 AT 8:49 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey GRANDAD - RAY

Please start a new question!

Best, Ken

+1
Wednesday, February 8th, 2017 AT 3:09 AM