1998 Mazda B2500 Hard shifting and stalling

HYMEFLY
  • 1998 MAZDA B2500
My Mazda pickup suddenly started shifting really hard at low speeds. A couple of days later, it started stalling at speeds over 40mph. The engine idles roughly, the "check gauges" light turns on, and then the engine stalls. The "check gauges" light also comes on when I rev the engine above 3500 rpm while in Park. The check engine light is currently on, but that has been on since I bought the truck with 80,000 miles. It is related to trouble code P0453. I believe that trouble code has nothing to do with my problems. Right? So far, I've installed a new mass air flow sensor and air filter. I have also added a bottle of Lucas transmission fix and Lucas fuel injection cleaner. The transmission fluid and filter were changed last year. The levels are good and the fluid still looks red and clear. I've never had issues with this truck and all these issues were sudden. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 AT 7:17 AM

CADIEMAN
TAKE IT TO THE PARTS STORE AND LET THEM CHECK THE CODES! CHECK FOR VACUEM TO THE ROUND SHIFT MODULATOR. YOU WILL SEE THE HOSE GOING TO IT ON THE TRANSMISSION. IT SHOULD BE AROUND 20 PSI.
Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 AT 8:10 AM
HYMEFLY
Thank you. What is the round shift modulator?
Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 AT 9:01 AM
CADIEMAN
THE SHIFT MODULATOR CONTROLS WHEN THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTS GEARS. IF U LOOK AND FIND A LARGE VACUME HOSE GOING TO THE MODULATOR. U CAN TRY REPLACING IT. THE ONLY THING THAT WILL CAUSE IT TO STALL IS A BAD CONVERTER.U MAY HAVE A PROBLEM THEIR. THATS THE BIG ROUND PART OF THE TRANS THAT HOOKS TO THE ENGINE.
Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 AT 3:47 PM
HYMEFLY
I did not see any hose going into the trans. The only thing I see are electrical wiring. Do you suppose this particular truck doesn't have such a vacuum? You mentioned the stalling could be caused by a bad converter. What exactly do u mean by that? Are you talking about the catalytic converter? I actually replaced it last year.
Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 AT 4:50 PM
CADIEMAN
IF IT'S A AUTOMATIC TRANS. THEN U HAVE SHIFT MODULATOR. IT'S GOING TO BE BY THE REAR TRANS MOUNT WHERE THE DRIVE SHAFT IS. THE VACUUM HOSE SHOULD RUN ALONG THE REAR TRANS MOUNT SUPPORT. THE TRANS CONVERTER HOOKS THE TRANS. TO THE ENGINE. START WITH THE MODULATOR. GO TO THE PARTS STORE AND LET THEM PULL 1 SO YOU'LL KNOW WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE. JUST BUY IT AND INSTALL IT IT IS CHEAP ENOUGH.
Thursday, November 27th, 2014 AT 6:23 AM
HYMEFLY
So, I went back under the truck. I brought with me a small mirror and a powerfully bright flashlight to see on top of the transmission and anywhere else. I was able to locate many electrical connections, but no hoses whatsoever. Still, I went to auto zone and asked for a shift modulator. The guy had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. I told him the issues I was having and he referred me to a transmission control solenoid, which is $90 and had to be special ordered.
The connection between the drive shift and transmission is completely free of any wires or hoses. There is an electrical connection from the muffler to the transmission. It runs to a small metal shiny rod connected on the side of the transmission onto other electric components. There are also other electronic connections. I would really like to fix this thing this week. I can't afford a mechanic, so I need to do all the work myself.
Thursday, November 27th, 2014 AT 8:07 AM
CADIEMAN
THIS TRANS MAY HAVE INTERNAL PROBLEMS.
Thursday, November 27th, 2014 AT 12:00 PM