1998 JAGUAR XK8 CONVERTIBLE - INERTIA SWITCH

• dhilton2001
  • 1998 Jaguar XK8
  • automatic

I'm having a similar issue to the one described in this post... http://www.2carpros.com/questions/jaguar-xj8-1998-jaguar-xj8-car-turns-over-then-stalls
However, I can not find an inertia switch. I have a 1998 Jaguar XK8 convertible. Does being a convertible make a difference in this switch's location?
I removed the passenger kick panel and also checked in the fuse box door on the dash at the passenger side. Thank you.

Thursday, May 26th, 2011 AT 4:51 PM

• Docfixit

Located next to left fascia fuse box

Thursday, May 26th, 2011 AT 4:57 PM
  • dhilton2001

I just checked it out and can't find it there either. Are we talking about the same thing? I was under the impression that I was looking for a switch like the one shown here... http://images.whisystems.com/smartpages/partinfo_resize/DUS/D1876D.jpg
All I'm seeing are relays and fuses.... no switch or anything else that can be pressed / reset.

Thursday, May 26th, 2011 AT 5:10 PM
  • Docfixit

That is where it is next to fuse box. What is problem?

Thursday, May 26th, 2011 AT 5:38 PM
  • Wrenchtech

Check the end of the dash. Here is what it looks like.

Thursday, May 26th, 2011 AT 6:27 PM
  • dhilton2001

Thank you for your responses. In my stressed out frenzy, I didn't even notice that the switch was right in front of me. I depressed the button (which did click), but the car still won't turn over.
As I said earlier, my issue was similar to an earlier one that was posted. Yesterday, someone came here to buy my car. I started it and backed it out of the garage. Then the potential buyer shut it off for whatever reason, and attempted to re-start it. Only this guy was cranking the key back and forth and pumping the gas until I yelled at him to stop! Since then it won't start. I thought it may be flooded, so I tried cranking it while going full throttle a few times, and I let it sit overnight thinking that may "dry it out".

Thursday, May 26th, 2011 AT 9:55 PM
  • Docfixit

Neeed a test light or volt meter? Engine compartment fuse box check fuse 4, 5, 9, 10, 12, 14, 18
IN trunk box check fuse 3, 7

Friday, May 27th, 2011 AT 1:32 PM